Thursday, May 24, 2012

Okay I lied

I know I know.. the last post from me was on Mother's day where I promised a post the next day about our craft day but that post never came... I swear I have a really good reason.  Sadly, early last monday morning, my aunt Esther passed away.  Needless to say I was a little preoccupied last week.  Then starting on the weekend Sweet Pea and I came down with massive colds that put me in bed for a few days and just when I started to feel better, the other three came down with a stomach bug.... at night.... At one point, they were alternating throwing up every 20 minutes... that meant that I'd just get settled back to bed and almost asleep when another would start.  It was a long night.  My husband was soo sweet to me though.  He had to go to work the next mornng but he took a two hour lunch so I could get a nap in.  I dare say that nap saved my children from my insanity.

ANYWAYS!!!  Here are some fun pictures of our mother's day craft day.  J and I came up with the idea a couple months ago.  J has a lot of friends and we thought it would be fun to bless their mothers by getting everyone together to make mother's day presents for them.  Plus we had a lot of fun doing it.  Because of the sheer size of the group, there was no way I could do this at my own house so we set up shop at our church's ministry center which has a lovely big room downstairs for these kinds of things.

I roped my friend Cassandra into helping me out with it because well the thought of 11 girls doing crafts seemed a bit daunting.  We also recruited 3 teenage girls to help us out.  I have to say, though it was a lot of work, I really had a lot of fun.  All these girls are just wonderful little girls and I love each and every one of them!

Okay so in order to get all the girls there without their mom's knowing the reason, we disguised it as a tea party with no parents allowed!  It worked... Most of the parents were happy to have a couple hours to themselves and for some mom's I'm sure that was enough of a mother's day present.  But in order to make it sort of tea partyish I made these babies:

Little pound cake squares with boiled icing!

After we had cake and juice the girls all set to work.  We had 4-5 tables set up with different projects on each one.  One was making queen for the day chair covers.  Who wouldn't have fun with pillowcases, pom poms and fabric paint?



Next table required a bit of work on my part.  The week before I ran to my dad's and used his scroll saw.  I wanted the girls to have a word to paint for their moms.  I picked JOY because that's what my children give me.  What I didn't think about was that the paint would have to dry.  I ended up having to leave the pillowcases and the wood words at the ministry center for several days just for the paint to dry.  There were puddles of paint on some of those words!  hehe.

The girls did a wonderful job painting them though.. so creative!

On the other two tables, the girls were making mother's day cards and bookmarks.  I was amazed at the creativity in these girls!







All in all, everyone had a blast and all the mom's loved their gifts.  It was so fun to bless people this way.

There you have it, our fun craft day.  I'd love to do it again.. only this time involve the moms!  Now it's time to get off the computer and make some lunch for my kiddos.  After not eating all day yesterday, they are just starving today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spam I have to moderate my comments. Please leave a comment anyway and I will probably approve you as soon as I see it.. unless you are spamming me ;)